Saturday, December 15, 2018

Day 5

Friday, December 14, 2018 - We went back to the waterfall today to resample site 3. We took the reading 10 meters down steam from the previous site. Katy and Randall stayed back to sort and identify samples. Randall “won” a coin toss. Gabriel, Dawn and I returned to the field. Today’s journey was quick and painless. We just took our time and enjoyed observing the forest. Gabriel returned the sample to the lab by 10:30am. I felt I was pestering the Gnöbe too much so I did not approach them tonight. I fear they will tire of my pesky inquisitions. I instead played cards with my sons. I felt they probably needed an outlet as constant work on subjects that they are likely not familiar with  is likely taxing on them. We enjoyed ourselves for a bit. We then returned to the lab to continue: sorting, identification, and literature review. We worked steady up until 9:00 pm. Locked up the lab as we were the last to leave. Earlier in the day on our way back from field I visited with my Pikuni relative from SKC, Jessica and another student she is working with. It was a nice visit as they enjoyed their lunch. Busy day! Sorting and identifying is tedious and time consuming but Katie is a champ. Randall and Dawn also helped in the sorting process. I encouraged Dawn to brush up on a few articles about the benthic macro invertebrates studied here in the past. She was game and hopefully she now has a good grasp on what she is looking for. Identifying seems to be giving Katie some frustration as many of the samples have subtle differences from the ones she is used back home. I still hope to follow Chenga around a little bit tomorrow. My sons will be examining forest incursion with the team from Diné College tomorrow I am glad people are opening up to them and are willing to share their knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment