Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Day 3

Wednesday, December 12, 2018 - Today our crew from Aaniiih Nakoda College put in some some serious miles! Our students did amazing work. We were able to sample three sites including one of the exact same sites Dan Kinsey sampled in 2015 with Shay Snider and Truan Yellow Stone. Overall we covered 6.9 miles and scaled 84 stories in primary and secondary forests and some former  pasture land set for restoration. On top of collecting macro invertebrate samples at each site we were able to GPS each of our locations . We also tested Ph, electrical conductivity, total dissolved solids, salinity and temperature at each test site. Our test sites include a site on the Rio Java River just below a confluence of a tributary I will have to find the name of tomorrow. We then retested the site Dan and his students tested. Our 3rd sample site was just below a 30 Meter waterfall. We will have to collect one more sample in the morning and get busy sorting and identifying our macro invertebrates. This will likely be a slow process as the Katelynn is the adept at identification. I am familiar with the protocols and procedures but I have not identified everyday for the past few semesters like Katy. I plan to make sure Dawn has a good grasp on the process then I would like to have her begin working on more literature review and laying the foundation for their presentation. My sons helped immensely carrying some of our field tools and participated in site collection. They were able to observe the students work their magic and helped accordingly when needed. Their training in cross country, football, and wrestling is apparent. The are up and down the trails with ease while the rest of us become aware of our need to patronize the RedWhip Fitness Center when we get home. The last time I was here I was easily 50lbs lighter and into CrossFit with my cousin Miles. I was able to negotiate the Gamboa (hardest and longest) trail with ease wearing Georgia Boots and Jeans in torrential rain. Today I barely negotiated the water trail but kept up with these folks as best I could. After a brief visit with my old friend Nakikunwere super stoked to have made it to the waterfall as the water trail was closed due to a land slide. Like typical peel heads we went anyway. Our gamble paid off. I met other people at the end of the day who navigated the trail from the top down (the smart way). We went from the bottom up and back the way we came the map were we using was given out at orientation and was slightly vague. We made our way along running into another group along the way. My boys and the students smoked me coming back. One of my sons was showered and raring to go when I finally stumbled through the door.  330 lbs is not an ideal weight to be hauling up 80+ stories and six miles in a tropical rain forest but I made it both in and out, eventually. I was exhausted when I got back. I stripped down to chonies and laid down to get my bearings. Gabriel brought me a Gatorade. Revived, I hustled to wash the Jungle Juice from my person.
Evening was nice and after showered I putted to the dining hall to get my grub on. The students outsmarted me again as earlier in the day they  followed proper directions and ordered sack lunches. Me and the boys rode it out sans grub. We had plenty of water and the students offered to share. We politely declined. Supper was good and super fresh and nutritious. Once everyone finished their grub and the crowd began to wane. I offered Chenga (Gnöbe elder) some coffee he politely refused. I proceeded to the lab as I had an important question to ask. In our way when one of these types of questions are asked we offer tobacco. I asked Chenga if he was allowed to share his creation story with my sons and I. He did. Others joined and listened both attentively and respectfully.. It was a true blessing and honor to hear this man share the beginning of their people with us. We chatted a bit more about the similarities of our peoples. I feebly attempted to offer an abbreviated version of the Aaniiih story leaving out many details sharing the small iota I am able. The whole scenario lasted only a few minutes but I didn’t want to be disrespectful and keep the hosts hostage against their will. If I could I would have asked a million questions about their people, homeland and lifeways. They are beautiful people and their knowledge of their home is vast. I hope to shadow them a little tomorrow. I wish more of our people could partake in these exchanges as they are very much us and we are them. Yet, they are them and we are us because they are here and we are there. Nahathaw ( that is the way it is). Niibiiko (Goodnight)!

No comments:

Post a Comment